7/29/2004

THE SWAN POSTETH, AND THE SWAN POSTETH NOT

Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I haven't posted in a little while.  You're ok, you'll get over it.  See, my dear wife and I (see picture to the left) are in the wonderful process of moving.  So, since computers don't seem to work that well when they're stripped from their lifeblood of energy and jostled around in a car for a bit, I might be a bit absent from daily postage.

But while I'm at it, let me speak about moving.  Generally, it's terrible.  Packing up all of your worldly possessions into transportable containers and taking them to another location is always going to be difficult, both physically and logistically.  Then there's this stuff called furniture, which never seems to fit into a box.  Good luck with that.  But the worst part is not just getting your stuff to a new domicile, it's what to do with it once you're there.  In your former residence, stuff had a place, even if it was "somewhere in the middle of pile #3."  In the new residence, you must create new places for the stuff, thus defining it's spacial identity once again.  This process is often called "getting settled."  THAT is the real beating here, because until that's done you're not really home, just stuck in some moving limbo.  The old apartment, however cramped, tiny and poorly laid out, is comfy right now.  The new apartment, however roomy, fresh and better located, isn't there yet.  I know it will reach that fabled Xanadu sometime, but for now, it's just like I'm living in some show-home. 

By the way, let me do you a favor.  See that little thing to the left that says "subscribe to stoplookingswan?"  You should do that.  This way, you'll always know when I put some new tidbits of wisdom up here, and I'll think I'm cool because you care.  It's a win-win situation. 

"I'm the center of attention in the world inside my head..."

No comments: